Monday, September 15, 2008

Blackout

Sunday around 2 am we lost power due to the storm and winds passing through our area from Hurricane Ike. Woke up in the morning and we still had no power. Alexa's school went from a two hour delay to closed. Realized I don't know how to unlatch the big garage door and had to call to Rick for help so I could get to work. Most of the rest of our city had power all night or it came back by 7am.

I was so busy at work, I could not leave to attend the funeral mass for Rick's uncle. Rick took Caitlin to daycare and brought Alexa with him to church. After the mass, the priest asked him if he would consider being a Eucharistic Minister again since there is a shortage and he agreed. He may also teach 3rd or 4th grade CCD since they need a teacher. Guess we need to make sure we get there every Sunday again.

Rick called me shortly before I left work to tell me the power was still out and not expected back until late tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I think I had a panic attack. No internet?!? I was planning on sneaking out with the laptop to snag some free wifi, if I had to.

Right after I got home the power came back on after more than 15 hours out. Our perishables did ok in the fridge and freezer and we didn't lose anything. Cable, phone and internet came back after we had dinner, and I was whole again. One day Rick will hook up our generator so that we can actually use it when we need it.

Even though the power was back on, I pulled out the flashlight for this in the dark shot.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are all safe and sound with electricity on! D, I told you in Flickr, but that pic is a tad scary! LOL

    ReplyDelete